Thursday 12 June 2014

A New Voice Through Writing

After  trawling the internet I have noticed that there is a lack of books written by disabled people. This might be because often it is not easy to talk about disability or celebrate the positive. Of course when you have a disability it is tempting to shy away from breaking down the barrier and discussing it, but it is beneficial to both the reader and writer to talk more openly about something which impacts on our lives so significantly.

My reading taste is very eclectic and I will give any book a go, but what has been the most rewarding for me is when I have read autobiographies by people with disabilities. This is not to say I wouldn't enjoy something written by someone able-bodied, but as I am in a wheelchair myself I have been inspired by these particular kinds of autobiographies that I have read. They have given me an insight into people's ways of living which I may not have previously understood. For example, Jess Thom's "Welcome to Biscuitland" helped me to imagine what it must be like to live with Tourettes Syndrome throughout everyday life. This book gave me a new found respect for people who suffer from this, and has also given me a renewed hope that more individuals will share their stories. 

I have found in the past that most books written about living with cerebral palsy have failed to enlighten me, because the authors were fairly self-deprecating. Which is why I was so pleased when I stumbled across Francesca Martinez's "What The F*** is Normal?" In this book her character and spirit shone through, overcoming her disability. Martinez writes modestly about herself and her achievements, and doesn't allow her disability to control the narrative. It is important in these sorts of autobiographies to strike the difficult balance between enough lightheartness alongside exploring vulnerability, which she seems to do well. Books about disability should not dwell on the aspect of pity, instead they should focus on offering an insight. 

Writing is a release and a good way to carefully convey the implications with living with either a physical or mental disability. Words are powerful, as you will find in both Thom's and Martinez's books. It is a privilege to experience a person's life so closely and so deeply, through a text. It may reduce ignorance and would allow people to be better equipped to understand the situations of others. For this reason, I encourage others to share their stories, just as I intend to share mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment